Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"They're trying to climb a social ladder that doesn't even exist."

The other day while going through radio stations I came across a commercial. It was a commercial about teens making the right decisions and such. It kinda reminded me of the anti-drug commercials/ads they came out w/ a few years ago . The ads/commercials showcased teens doing their "anti-drug" which was anything from taking care of their families to activities they enjoyed doing. Anyways back to the commercial I came across.

A teen boy came on and said "Everyone thinks that as a teen you're not a man if you don't have sex. They're trying to climb a social ladder that doesn't even exist." I was blown away by this young mans statement (mainly the latter part).

How is it we constantly seem to be climbing a/the social ladder that truly doesn't exist? Who in fact invented this ladder? What purpose does it hold? Most of the time a ladder is used for us to reach great heights, to be able to reach things unattainable from the ground below. But where does this ladder take you? To me it looks as if it only takes you higher- serving no purpose. You don't see any amazing views unless you like the view of looking down upon those who are below you. And what happens when you reach the top of this so called ladder? What do you obtain from it?

 Now I understand how there is a vast difference between being poor and homeless to living in the district of 90210. I also understand certain types of people are attracted to each other and there isn't wrong with that either. What is wrong, however,is us using it as an excuse to not befriend or talk to those who are not like us.

Most people often say they get tired of stereotypes. Unfortunately, though, we live in a world where we can't help but automatically put people into a stereotype and/or social circle. And though I'm just as guilty about it as anyone else is do you ever wonder why we're always striving to be better than some while trying to be as good as others? 

I don't really have an amazing conclusion to this post talking about how I have the solution to the problem. Truth is I don't really know how to fix it or if you even can. But I guess half the battle is already won in the acknowledging of the problem alone. So in closing I guess all I can say is open your eyes and realize there really isn't a ladder. We all stand on the same level just like we all breath the same air . And before you think I'm not going to put anything spiritual into this Jesus spoke to and ministered to sinners and there was a vast difference between him and them. So what makes us think we are above talking to those who are not like us ?

No comments:

Post a Comment