Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

And Under Her Breath She Whispers a Prayer



       I thank God for placing examples (such as my parents) in my life that have taught me the significance and importance of things such as prayers whispered under one's breath. I think we often forget the significance of those small prayers.

      While I was attending  IBC I said more prayers under my breath than I can count. You may be thinking that's a no brainer. IBC is a Bible College after all. You live, breath, and sleep all things prayer and God oriented ... right? And that's somewhat true ...

     One thing I never counted on though, was that overwhelming feeling of familiness (if there ever was such a word) that I encountered. I was not by any means what you would call 'popular' and I can't say I really hung out with the 'in crowd' (if there were such a thing). There were some people I barely spoke a sentence to and others I only knew at face value. There was, however, that connection. That undeniable respect, understanding, and love you felt almost instantly and that grew even stronger the longer you were there. I did not know that when I signed my signature to that application the undeniable responsibility I would encounter in the 3 years I attended IBC.

      With a student body averaging 200 students (freshmen - seniors) you pretty much spend all your time together. And without realizing it you begin to learn each other, even those you don't hang out with. You begin to notice slightly drooping smiles, sighs being let out of frustration when they think no one is listening, and you notice when the normally loud person who is often surrounded by friends is off in a corner (or stairwell) by themselves just because they need a breather. You notice the extra beat in their step, the smile that seems to grow bigger and bigger as the day goes on, and the twinkle in their eye. You also notice the growth in their spiritual lives and their freedom and liberty in their worship. You will find yourself rejoicing when they get the breakthrough they need, crying when you see their pain, and being strong when they are weak. And yes, it is your responsibility to do, feel, and be all of these things (even if those you are doing these things for do not see nor realize it).

   You may not like everyone, you may not agree with everyone ... but that should not stop you from loving everyone. And isn't that what makes you family... love?

   I saw those I attended IBC with in a different light than most people probably would. And the same could be said about me from others points of view.

   I walked those halls many a times whispering prayers for my fellow classmates and the staff members of IBC. I also often found myself saying prayers during the late nights I cleaned the school.

   The staff often reminded us how important it was to make connections and obtain connections while attending IBC. One reason, I believe, is because they were the ones who were there to witness every little step, stride, set back, advancement, failure, and success in that time of your life. They were the ones who lifted you up because they noticed your smile was slightly drooping. Or they noticed when you had a break down during choir and were quickly rushed out of the room by one of your dearest friends so you weren't the center of attention.and found themselves whispering prayers for you. And to top it off they were the ones who signed your yearbook thanking you for your hard work, the smile your kept on your face, and your prayers.

    I still find myself whispering prayers. Prayers for my classmates (though I am no longer at IBC and some left log before I did). Prayers for friends and family members. Prayers for personal needs. And yes even prayers for total strangers.

   I find myself praying whenever I pass a horrible wreck. I find myself praying whenever a friend comes to mind. I find myself praying (and crying) when I hear stories such as shootings taking place in elementary schools. I find myself praying for those who would rather have nothing to do with God.

  The truth is I find myself praying quite often.

   The Bible says to pray without ceasing and I believe that includes the prayers whispered under one's breath.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment